Some people like stocking their cabinets with a lot of food. A whole bunch of canned goods and snacks waiting there to be eaten. I don’t know why but having a brimming pantry oddly just makes me a bit anxious… A part of it could be that we don’t have a ton of space to store food. Living in a smaller condo, I basically have 3 shelfs that I keep my non-perishable items on and I don’t like them jam packed. Is this weird?
Anyway, all of this to say, I had 2 cans of black beans and some breadcrumbs I was itching to get rid of. A quick look in my refrigerator confirmed there were also 2 eggs ready to use. Time for some homemade black bean burgers, y’all.
This recipe is only 5 ingredients and can easily be made in bulk to freeze and heat up again later. These black beans burgers are the best non-meat patties I’ve made so far. The egg and breadcrumbs bind the beans well so they don’t fall apart when you’re cooking or eating them.
I added some cumin for flavor and they were perfect. Although I’m not sure they are cheaper than buying already made veggie burgers, I love that I know exactly what is in them.
Black bean and breadcrumb burgers
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 5 – 7 minutes | Servings: 6 *freezes well*
- 2 cans of black beans
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 2 Tbs of cumin
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Rinse and strain your black beans
- Pat them with a paper towel to make sure they are completely dry
- Mash them with a fork until they are a paste consistency
- Add breadcrumbs, eggs, garlic, and cumin
- Mix together and mold into patties
- Freeze for later (I suggest defrosting in the refrigerator the night before using them) or pan fry to cook
- Serve protein style* with fresh tomato, lettuce, and a yummy side 🙂
*Because of the breadcrumbs already in there, I didn’t want to eat these on a bun