We finally have a kitchen again! After about 2 months of renovating the downstairs of our house, the floors are placed, the new appliances connected, and the (GORGEOUS) counters are safely secured in place. All in good timing because we’re only a week or so out from our baby making his grand debut into the world.
To test out all of the new goods, I made a recipe I’ve been wanting to try for a while last night for dinner. It’s vegan and, the version I made, gluten-free. It’s easy and filling. It’s … chili mac!
A mash up – a love child – of 2 major comfort foods; chili and mac n’ cheese. I suggest you make yourself a batch ASAP.
- 1 -2 TBS vegetable oil like avo or grape-seed (something with a high smoke-point)
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 bell pepper (I used red but use your fave or what you have on hand)
- 2-ish carrots
- 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed
- 28 oz of canned tomatoes (I buy the fire roasted ones)
- 3 – 4 cups of spinach
- Spices (added to taste and preference): Cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, salt
- 10 oz of macaroni (I used brown rice and quinoa but similar to a lot of gluten free products, it didn’t hold it’s structural integrity when mixed with the other ingredients – something to consider if you are concerned about presentation)
- Make your pasta according to the package, drain, and set aside
- Chop and sauté your onion until translucent
- Chop bell pepper and carrots to add to onion mixture
- Add kidney beans, canned tomatoes, and spices, mix and let everything simmer for about 20 minutes
- Bring to a boil and stir in spinach until it is wilted
- Add to chili to macaroni
- Serve and enjoy (optional to top with guac, green onions, and/or cheese)
Before and After pictures of the house and a post about renovation tips are in the works – stay tuned!
***Pick Up Limes inspired this post***