YOU GUYS. This recipe is a winner. With one of my closet friends as my inspo (read about her wedding we just went to here), I whipped up this vegan roasted red bell pepper sauce to serve over spaghetti squash tonight and it’s so creamy, you wouldn’t even know there isn’t cheese in it.
I’ll admit, there’s a bit of prep work (more than I usually do on a Monday) with roasting the bell peppers. And I made my own cashew milk, which obviously added time. You can prep the cashew milk the night before to save a few minutes but I do highly recommend making your own nut milk for this one; since it’s a savory dish.
I know you can buy unsweetened nut milk but it just always has a hint of sweet in my opinion. Besides, if you can avoid added ingredients, why not? Making your own nut milk is actually super simple. The only pitfall is it doesn’t keep for too long (no preservatives!) but I’ll give you the exact amounts I used for this recipe below.
That means, this post is actually two recipes in one! Your lucky day, friends.
As mentioned, I put this sauce over spaghetti squash (that I did prep the day before) but you can dip bread and veggies in it or use it as a sub for a more creamy pizza sauce.
Vegan roasted red bell pepper sauce
Prep time: 45 minutes – Cook time: 5 minutes – Servings: 2 – 3
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 chopped shallots
- 2 – 4 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 – 2 Tbs of olive oil
- 3/4 cup cashew milk*
- 2 Tbs of nutritional yeast
- A few dashes of red chili flakes (optional)
- Basil for garnish
- Roast bell peppers in a 450 degree toaster oven for 30 minutes or until skin is charred
- Tent bell peppers in tin foil to steam for 10 minutes and then remove skin and seeds
- Sauté shallots and garlic in olive oil
- Add peppers, sautéd shallots and garlic, cashew milk, nutritional yeast, and red chili flakes to blender and blend until smooth
- Garnish and serve 🙂
*For the cashew milk:
- Simply soak 1/2 cup unsalted cashews in water for ~8 hours (I soaked mine while I was at work today)
- Drain cashews and add to blender with 1/2 cup of water
- Blend and strain in a nut milk bag
2 thoughts on “Vegan roasted red bell pepper sauce”
I’m not vegan but I would so so still eat this 😊
Let me know if you try it! Was delicious 🙂