It’s been gloomy in California lately and I decided to spend the afternoon at home “pampering” myself the other day. I think it’s important to realize you don’t have to spend a whole bunch of money to feel better about yourself. No matter how great I feel with fresh highlights and a new outfit, it would be a pricey habit to rely on spending all of that money to brighten my day.
Sometimes just spending a hour or so on yourself is good enough! I was feeling like a hot mess – with un-brushed hair and chipped nail polish – when I decided to go for a run/walk but right when I laced up my shoes, it started raining. I could have done another workout instead but I decided just to go for it. Oddly, running in the rain makes it more pleasant for me.
- After my workout, I had one of my favorite protein packed snacks – snap peas dipped in hummus with hot sauce and a string cheese.
- Then I took off that chipped nail polish! Typically doing our nails is thought of pampering but because of all the chemicals in nail polish, I feel better when my nails are bare. Scrubbing off my O.P.I. and cutting/filing my nails makes me feel best.
- Next I took a hot shower and SHAVED even though it’s raining here and I won’t be wearing shorts anytime soon. Nothing gets you feeling like you brought your A game like smooth legs.
- After I showered, I slathered myself with avocado oil – how California of me, I know.
- I got dressed and, for once, avoided yoga pants or leggings, opting for jeans. (Full disclaimer: this was more for Mike than me;)
- Next I dyed my eyebrows. Some people feel best when they’re having a good hair day, for others it’s all about their outfit, but for me? when my eyebrows are a tad darker than their natural state that I feel my best.
- While my eyebrow dye sat and dyed, I brushed my hair (it is all too often that my hair defaults in a messy bun on top of my head) and fish tail braided it to get it out of my face. Braiding my hair is one of my favorite things to do – it’s so simple and really gives you bang for your buck because after you take it out, you’re left with pretty waves. Two hairstyles out of one? Sold.
After I felt like a human again, I hit the kitchen to try out a new recipe. I originally saw this recipe on the YouTube channel What’s Up Moms (which I am obsessed with, even though I’m not a mom yet). There are a few alterations but it was delicious!
Creamy Avocado Pasta
Prep time: 15 minutes – Cook time: 15 minutes – Serves: 2
- 1.5 c of your favorite pasta (I used brown rice and quinoa)
- 1 bag baby kale
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 c basil
- 1/2 c cherry tomatoes
- Cook pasta according to package
- While pasta is cooking, add kale, pealed avocado, olive oil, garlic and basil into blender and blend until smooth
- Strain pasta but keep some of the water to thin out sauce (if need be)
- Pour sauce (thinned out with pasta water, if needed) over hot pasta
- Add sliced cherry tomatoes and mix together
- Serve and enjoy!
Stay tuned and eat your greens.
** Note this blog went through a rebrand and is now veg vibes; which aligns better with the direction I organically gravitated towards. It’s all about your vibe **