I’ll admit, I’m not much of a baker. I cook like the Balinese* with little direction and not a single measurement. From what I gather, baking requires all of the direct and pretty much exact measurements.
Not my world.
Until I saw a recipe for olive oil chocolate chip cookies and I thought, well, that sounds de-lish.
Reading the recipe conjured up images of rolling hills, a perfectly breezy-sunny afternoon, and olive trees. Olive trees all around me and Mike! On a picnic! Romantically sipping rosé, staring into each other’s eyes, and eating these cookies.
A girl can dream!
Real life though, I pulled out our measuring cups, propped up my iPad, and scrolled through the recipe every 3.5 seconds to re-read the same line again and again. Why is it so hard to remember what comes next and how much of it?! Eventually these gems came out of the oven and – one word – bliss!
* When we took a cooking class in Bali, our instructor was making the corn fritters and cracked 4 eggs into the mix. As he did, he said something along the lines of “this recipe takes 4 eggs… or 5 eggs.. or 3 eggs… really how ever many eggs you have will work!”
Mike and I immediately exchanged glances because that’s exactly how I cook; how ever many I have …works!
olive oil chocolate chip cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes + 20 minutes for chilling – Cook time: 10 – 12 minutes – Servings: 12 cookies
- 6 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bar dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In large bowl, mix together butter, oil, and sugars until fluffy
- Add egg and vanilla
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt
- Mix flour mixture into sugar mixture until combined
- Fold in chocolate
- Chill in refrigerate for 20 minutes
- Scoop 1 inch balls and place on baking sheet 1 inch apart
- Bake for 10 – 12 munites
- Take out, let cool slightly, break and enjoy!
One thought on “olive oil chocolate chip cookies”
I made these today, yum!!